Image: Smoke inversion layer at dawn, Manhattan, KS
On occasion, I write opinion or advice pieces about being an academic, particularly in physics education research (PER). They would form a blog if they occurred regularly. They are not peer-reviewed.
- Becoming a better writer or presenter:
- Becoming a better researcher
- Getting a faculty job
- Being faculty
- The state of the PER field
- How big is PER? A FAQ: Some common questions about the size and shape of PER, aimed at curious physics departments.
- h-indices in PER: The h-index is a measure of how well-cited a person is; I calculated them for PERers as a function of job maturity.
- Affirmation cards: Affirmation cards tell other people how you appreciate them and affirm the value of their work. This is the story of how they came to PER, including directions for how to make your own.